Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Taco Omelets


Do you ever have one of those "Duh? Why didn't I think of that??" moments? I have them frequently and, especially these days when Pinterest is so widely-used, I think probably most people have them. Or maybe I'm just trying to convince myself of that so I don't feel so silly.

Anyway, this particular head-slapping moment came when I was surfing Instagram a few weeks ago, and my friend Denise posted a photo of a taco omelet that she was having for breakfast. A taco omelet. It's just like a taco, but uses eggs instead of a tortilla. I felt like Monica from Friends when I discovered this, and I'm pretty sure I actually said "GET OUT" out loud.

I made these that very night. I didn't get super fancy with the ingredients because I just used what I had on hand, but they could be jazzed up in a bunch of different ways. Pretty much any way you can eat a taco, you can eat a taco omelet. You just have to try this simple and delicious dinner.

Taco Omelets
inspired by Creative Kitchen

1 pound ground sirloin
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons taco seasoning
8 eggs
Splash of milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Canola oil
Shredded cheese
Salsa, sour cream, and any other toppings you like for serving

1. Brown the ground sirloin with the onion and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the meat has cooked, sprinkle in the taco seasoning and add a bit of water to loosen it. Remove from heat.

2. Beat the eggs with a little milk and some salt and pepper in a bowl. Heat canola oil in a large non-stick pan. 

3. Add about 1/4 of the egg mixture (2 eggs' worth) to the skillet and cook, without turning, until eggs are cooked through. Top half of the omelet with some of the reserved ground beef and shredded cheese, then fold the other half of the omelet over the top. Remove to a plate and keep warm while you repeat the process with the remaining eggs, meat, and cheese.

4. Serve omelets with salsa, sour cream, and any other desired toppings.

1 comment:

Chrisor (@ynotkissme) said...

I have got to try this! This is something I know we'd like and as much as we love tortillas, it'd be great to cut out the extra carbs! Thanks, Cassie. :-)