Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Shredded Pork Po' Boys


Lately, I am just absolutely obsessed with Cajun flavors. I tend to go through phases like this with certain ingredients. Crescent rolls and pesto are good examples of some of my past phases; currently, it's cajun seasoning. I've been putting it on everything, and I'm constantly dreaming up new ways to use it.

I'm also always trying to find new ways to use leftovers so they don't go to waste. Now that my husband is no longer working third shift (hallelujah!), he doesn't eat a big dinner-type meal in the mornings like he used to -- which means that our leftovers have a tendency to just sit there. When I found myself with some leftover shredded pork recently, I spent some time brainstorming what to do with it, and this is what I came up with. A juicy, delicious shredded pork po' boy, smothered in remoulade sauce. This sandwich is fan.freaking.tastic. It's so fantastic, in fact, that we ate it two nights in a row.

I'm listing the shredded pork recipe I used below. I made the pork for another recipe so the seasonings are pretty basic, but if you want to make it specifically for these sandwiches you could add some Cajun seasoning to the meat.

Shredded Pork Po' Boys

For the pork:

1 2-pound pork shoulder or butt
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons salt

For the remoulade:

1 cup mayonnaise
2 scallions, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped pickles
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
2 teaspoons hot sauce

For serving:

4 hoagie rolls, split and toasted
Shredded lettuce
Sliced tomatoes

1. To make the pork, combine garlic, pepper, oregano or marjoram, olive oil, vinegar and salt. Rub pork with this mixture and refrigerate overnight. Cook in a Crock pot on low for 8 hours.

2. To make the sauce, blend mayonnaise, scallions, pickle, hot sauce and Cajun seasoning in food processor or blender. Cover and chill until serving.

3. To assemble the sandwiches, arrange pork on the bottom of a hoagie roll. Top with shredded lettuce, tomato, a generous drizzle of remoulade, and the roll top. Devour.

1 comment:

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

What a great sandwich! I'll need to try this one.