Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Chicken Caesar Salad Sandwiches


I just looked through the list of recipes I haven’t posted yet, and 90% of them involve chicken. I hope you guys like chicken! I think I’ve mentioned this before, but it’s the protein of choice at Casa de Cassie, so I always stock up when it’s on sale and cook with it at least three times a week. Usually more than that.

This particular recipe takes all the flavors of chicken Caesar salad and puts them on a sandwich. As soon as I saw it, I knew I was going to love it. Back in my less-adventurous days of eating, I’d order a chicken Caesar salad at every single restaurant, every single time we ate out. To this day, chicken Caesar salad still holds a special place in my heart. Okay, I’m done waxing poetic about a salad now. :)

In this simple, mouth-wateringly delicious sandwich, chicken cutlets are breaded and pan-fried, then topped with provolone cheese, bacon, and romaine lettuce tossed with parmesan cheese and Caesar dressing. The sandwiches are served on buttered grilled buns that call to mind the crouton portion of the traditional salad. Joe loved this sandwich and declared it the best chicken sandwich I’ve ever made. I’m taking that high praise and running with it!

Chicken Caesar Salad Sandwiches
heavily adapted from Stephanie Cooks

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
1 egg
1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 slices bacon
2 rolls
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1 cup romaine lettuce
Caesar dressing
2 slices provolone cheese

1. Beat the egg in a small bowl. Combine breadcrumbs and salt. Dip each chicken breast in the egg, and then in the breadcrumb mixture. Heat a thin layer of oil in a large skillet (enough to coat the bottom) over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until crispy and cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes per side (depending on thickness).

2. While the chicken is cooking, cook the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside.

3. In a small bowl, combine the butter, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Spread generously on each roll half. Broil buttered-side up or cook in a skillet buttered-side down until the rolls are browned.

4. Toss together the romaine lettuce, the parmesan cheese, and Caesar salad dressing to taste.

5. Place a piece of cooked chicken on the bottom half of each roll. Top with a slice of provolone cheese, two slices of bacon, and a pile of the salad mix.

3 comments:

Jaida said...

These look delicious! They just might have to go onto the Sammich Saturday list!

TN said...

I like your blog but is there a reason why you have so many chicken recipes? I try to switch it up with chicken, pork, beef, duck, lamb, veal, shrimp, scallops, fish etc...

Is your family big chicken eaters? We are located in Paris so we have access to a lot of different meats. Just curious! But I do love a lot of your chicken recipes...I find it hard to be creative sometimes with chicken! I'm going to try the Greek tacos soon!

Patty said...

Yum!

My husband makes this really yummy Cesar dressing from scratch that involves capers and Worcestershire sauce. I bet he would love this if we could find some gluten-free buns!