Monday, September 19, 2011

Pepperoncini Beef Sandwiches


I’ve been using my slow cooker more and more lately. I used it a lot this summer, and I think I’m using it this week for four different meals. More than any other method of cooking, slow cooking works perfectly with my lifestyle. Being a full-time working mom of two energetic little boys doesn’t leave a lot of time to get dinner on the table. I love that using my Crock pot allows me to cook things while I’m not even at home, and the results are always so tasty.

A while ago, when I posted this recipe for chipotle beef tacos, I mentioned how my grocery store often has a “buy 1 get 1 free” special on beef roasts. I always stockpile when that happens – it just makes frugal sense. When I saw this recipe, I knew I’d be using one of my hoarded roasts for these sandwiches. Plus – look at the short list of ingredients! Short ingredient lists are a budget cook’s best friend.

These sandwiches are quite delicious, and even the boys liked the flavor of the meat. The leftovers are really versatile, too; I used ours for pot roast hash and eggs, but I could also see the meat being delicious wrapped up in flour tortillas or even cooked into an omelet.

Pepperoncini Beef Sandwiches
slightly adapted from Our Best Bites

Salt and pepper to taste (at least 1/2 teaspoon of each)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 3-pound beef roast, trimmed of excess fat
5 cloves minced garlic
1 16-ounce jar sliced pepperoncinis, undrained
Crusty sandwich rolls
Sliced provolone cheese

1. Heat oil in a pot or high-sided skillet over high heat. While the oil is heating, combine the salt and pepper and rub it into the meat. Add more if necessary. When the oil is hot, sear the roast on all sides so the outsides of it is browned and a little crispy.

2. Transfer the roast to a slow cooker and add the minced garlic and the entire jar of pepperoncinis. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or until the beef is fork tender.

3. For sandwiches, slice the rolls. Spread them lightly with mayonnaise and then top with the shredded beef. Add a slice of provolone cheese and then place under the broiler for 1 to 3 minutes or until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

Mrs. Ca said...

We are having these tomorrow, and I can't wait. Last time I did the version I heard originally, which called for me to put the roast in the pot, dumping on the pepperocinis, and then turning it on. I'm going for something closer to this version this time, adding in some beef broth to up the cooking liquid.

I love this recipe (and, well, pretty much any pot roast recipe). I really can't wait to eat it.

Julie said...

Now I'm drooling...must have this soon!

Natalie said...

I am so excited to start using my slow-cooker more often and this looks like the perfect recipe to start with!