Thursday, September 30, 2010

Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies

A chocolate chip cookie is one of those desserts that I think just seems quintessentially American. Who doesn’t love a good chocolate chip cookie? There are so many variations of this type of cookie that I want to try, but when I saw this recipe on my friend Lisa’s blog, I was so incredibly excited about it that I moved it right to the top of my list.

What makes these cookies special and unique is that you brown the butter before you add it to the cookies. Butter + brown sugar = TOFFEE HEAVEN. The original recipe is just called “Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies,” but I added toffee to the title because you do get a really strong toffee flavor in these. They make your house smell incredible while they’re cooking, and they taste even better than they smell. They’re crispy on the edges and perfectly soft in the middle, and they have such a deep, complex, amazing flavor.

These aren’t really a classic chocolate chip cookie to me because of the strong toffee flavor, so for the classic version I think Martha Stewart’s cakey cookie will still be my go-to. But these were still delicious, and we all loved them so much that I will for sure make them again.

Oh, and a final word of warning: These cookies will seriously be nearly as big as your head. Just so you’re not as surprised as I was when I took them out of the oven. :)

Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
from America’s Test Kitchen

1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
14 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon table salt

2 teaspoons vanilla
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

2. Heat 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and, using heatproof spatula, transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter until completely melted.

3. Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds. Let mixture stand 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny. Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips, giving dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.

4. Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons. Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, 8 dough balls per sheet.

5. Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.

Print

3 comments:

Natalie said...

YUM! anything with brown sugar and butter is good in my book! I'll have to try these!

Kitten with a Whisk said...

Yum! I'll take two dozen please!

Leigh said...

um...yum! Man you just threw a kink in my night! I was planning on making ginger cookies because tomorrow is National Homemade Cookie Day and now you are tempting me to stray from my plan!