Friday, September 24, 2010

Boston Cream Cake

Can you look at that picture without drooling?

Yeah. Me neither.

My husband and I celebrated six years of marriage early in August, and we aren’t really big on gifts for special occasions. For our kids, yes; for ourselves, not so much. Usually, if we see something we want throughout the year (for ourselves or for each other), we just buy it then. So on gift-giving occasions such as anniversaries, neither of us ever knows what to give to the other person.

This year, I decided to make Joe this cake. He loves Boston cream pie, and I’d had my eye on this recipe for a while, so it seemed like a natural fit. Not surprisingly, he loved this! Everyone who tried it did, in fact. And really, what’s not to love? There’s just something so perfect about the combination of a moist yellow cake, a cool pastry cream, and a silky, velvety chocolate ganache. You could of course use a homemade yellow cake recipe, but the boxed SuperMoist mix works just fine for me.

Give this one a try for your next special occasion!

Boston Cream Cake
adapted from Rachael's Favorite Recipes

For the cake:
1 box moist yellow cake mix
Water, oil, and eggs called for on box

For the filling:
1 3.4-ounce box instant French vanilla pudding
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream

For the ganache:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Prepare cake batter according to directions on box. Divide batter evenly among two greased 8- or 9-inch cake pans. Bake according to directions on box. Remove cakes from pans and cool completely on a wire rack.

2. Meanwhile, combine all filling ingredients and beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate while you prepare the ganache.

3. Place chocolate chips in a mixing bowl and set aside. Heat 1 cup of heavy whipping cream in a saucepan to boiling. Remove from heat and pour over chocolate chips. Stir in a figure-eight motion until chocolate is completely melted and ganache is shiny and smooth. Let cool slightly.

4. Place one of the cakes on a cake plate. Spread filling evenly over cake, then place the other cake on top. Pour ganache over completely cooled cake. (Be sure the ganache and cake are both cool.) Refrigerate before and after serving.

Print

8 comments:

Cristine said...

Looks amazing! I will definately be trying this one!

Debbie said...

I love that cake! It's great since it seems fairly simple to make and the filling sounds delicious.....

Pam said...

No, I'm drooling big time!!! It looks great!!! I can't remember the last time I made it but remember for sure how delicious it is! Good job!

Julie said...

It truly is a droolworthy pic! Congrats on your anniversary :)

Larissa said...

Wow -- that looks awesome! I love Boston Cream Pie. I tend to bake for my husband for gifts too. It is easier to bake him something that he likes than to find something in the stores. He is hard to shop for, but easy to cook for!

Keri said...

Um, no, I definitely cannot look at the picture without drooling:-)! That cake looks amazing!!

Monica H said...

Yes, I'm drooling, especially with all that chocolate on top!

George Quirk said...

I'm pretty sure he loved it! Can't help but drool here. Your husband and I are opposite, though. I'm actually looking for some recipes for my wife. I'm the man of the kitchen in our house. We'll be celebrating our anniversary next week after our visit to the dentist, so I'm gonna make it a little special and make her remember the times we spent in Myrtle Beach. Wish me luck!