Friday, July 16, 2010

Hot Italian Turkey Sandwiches

Don’t get me wrong, I love a good turkey and American cheese sandwich as much as the next girl. But sometimes, it’s nice to fancy up a plain old sandwich for dinner. This recipe does just that. It elevates deli turkey to a truly delicious level with the addition of roasted red peppers, sautéed mushrooms and onions, and a creamy pesto mayonnaise. I made all four sandwiches, had one for myself and gave Joe two, and took the fourth with me to work for lunch the next day (and it reheated really well) -- but let me tell you, I had to fight Joe for that sandwich! He could have eaten a third one with no problem, he loved these so much. We’ll be making these sandwiches a lot. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Deborah!

Hot Italian Turkey Sandwiches
source: adapted from Taste and Tell

1 teaspoon oil
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 cup thinly sliced onion

Salt and pepper to taste
4 hoagie rolls, split
8 ounces sliced cooked turkey
1 cups roasted red peppers, patted dry and sliced
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
4 tablespoons basil pesto
3/4 cup mayonnaise

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; saute 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often, until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

3. Top half of each roll with turkey and peppers, spoon on onion and mushrooms, and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes or until cheese melts.

4. Mix pesto and mayonnaise; spread onto top of each roll.

5 comments:

Keri said...

Oh yum! I make a similar sandwich, but I've never thought to add roasted red peppers. Great addition that I can't wait to try!!

Natalie said...

I love making "fancy" sandwiches! :) I'm going to try this on our panini press!

Joanne said...

I love sandwiches, especially when they are all decadent and dressed up like this one!

Julie said...

Yep, I'd fight for one of these too!

Monica H said...

And I'd fight Julie for one of these. ha! You had me at pesto mayo- LOVE that stuff.