Saturday, April 3, 2010

Asparagus Two Ways

I love Easter. To me, the Easter feast is the official beginning of spring. I think it's all the fresh flavors that are typically a part of the meal: spring vegetables, deviled eggs, something lemony for dessert. I've never hosted an Easter dinner, so I've never been responsible for the main event (which, in our family, is usually a yummy, sweet-salty-smoky ham), but for the past five years or so I've always been responsible for the asparagus. Asparagus is the perfect side dish because it's so easy to prepare, so good for you, and so incredibly delicious.

I didn't always love asparagus. The first time I tried it, in fact, I was in my 20s, and I hated it. It
was way over-cooked. It's Joe's very favorite vegetable, though, so I took it upon myself to find the perfect preparation for it. Over the years I've come up with two ways of cooking it that I absolutely love -- roasting and grilling -- and I thought I'd share both of them with you today so you can add one of them to your Easter feast. It's not too late!

Happy Easter, everyone!

Roasted Asparagus

1 pound asparagus spears, washed and trimmed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter, melted
Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine olive oil and butter; pour mixture over asparagus and toss to combine. Season liberally with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

2. Arrange in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Cook 15 minutes, or until slightly browned and crisp-tender.


Grilled Asparagus

1 pound asparagus spears, washed and trimmed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Toss asparagus with olive oil. Sprinkle with brown sugar and salt and pepper.

2. Arrange in a single layer on a piece of foil and place on grill. Grill, turning frequently, until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 15 minutes.

2 comments:

Monica H said...

This is my favorite way to have asparagus- it just intensifies the flavor. We cook ours in the oven though for 15 minutes rather than on the grill. A sprinkling or parm and a squeeze of lemon doesn't hurt either :-)

Yummy either way!

love-up-you said...

Diese Ringe werden auch als Quadrat Smaragdschliff thomas sabo charm oder Kissen schneiden bekannt. Und das stilvolle Merkmal dieser Schnitt ist die quadratische Form mit thomas sabo charm club anhänger Ecken schneiden wie ein Achteck. Aber vor dem Kauf Asscher Diamanten Ring müssen Sie berücksichtigen, dass der Diamant sollte angebote thomas sabo anhänger der höheren Farbe und Klarheit zu halten, weil der Schliff des Diamanten bedeutet, dass alle thomas sabo charm Mängel, die sichtbar sind, können auch gut sichtbar auf dem bloßen Auge. Daher Asscher Diamanten kann teuer im Vergleich zu sabo charms anderen Diamanten von der gleichen Karat.