Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Roast Chicken with Balsamic Bell Peppers

While I was making this dinner, I started thinking about the chicken recipes that I make on a regular basis. I realized that besides the smothered chicken I've made for years, the only thing I ever really do with chicken breasts is stuff them. So I've needed a tasty go-to recipe for chicken breasts that comes together quickly and easily, and this definitely fit the bill. The chicken is really flavorful, and all the spices compliment the sweet bell peppers perfectly. I was going to serve this with roasted potatoes, but decided at the last minute to make mashed potatoes instead, and I'm glad I did; the mashed potatoes were perfect for soaking up the flavorful broth.

I used onions instead of shallots because that was what I had on hand, but otherwise I didn't (and wouldn't!) change a thing about this recipe. This is easy enough for a weeknight dinner, but special and delicious enough for company. And it's relatively healthy, too, which somehow makes it taste even better!

Roast Chicken with Balsamic Bell Peppers
source: Cooking Light, January 2010; recipe also found here

3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Cooking spray
2 cups thinly sliced red bell pepper
1 cup thinly sliced yellow bell pepper
1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots (about 1 large) (I used 1 small onion)
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Combine 1/2 teaspoon salt, fennel seeds, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. Brush chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil; sprinkle spice rub over chicken. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Turn chicken over; cook 1 minute. Arrange chicken in an 11 x 7–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes or until done.

3. Heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, shallots, and rosemary; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve bell pepper mixture over chicken.

3 comments:

Kat said...

This looks good!

So I made your Spinach lasagna rolls last night and they were a huge hit! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Deborah said...

I've been on a pepper kick, so this sounds great!

Debbie said...

I love peppers and that looks like a great comfort dish!