Thursday, November 19, 2009

Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese

I'm thinking I need to create a separate recipe category devoted solely to buffalo chicken recipes, because I certainly do make a lot of them. I just can't get enough of those flavors, so I'm always on the look-out for interesting recipes to try. I was so excited to come across this one, because it combines buffalo chicken with something I've been craving hard-core lately: macaroni and cheese. Seriously, how could you possibly go wrong?

This was delicious, plain and simple. It had a nice amount of spice without being too spicy. I chose to leave out the celery called for in the original recipe and didn't miss it at all. This would have been delicious baked in the oven for a few minutes with some crumbled Ritz crackers or french-fried onions on top to mimic the crunchiness of deep-fried wings, so I'm going to try that next time I make this. This is one of my new favorite comfort foods, for sure.

Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese
source: slightly adapted from Recipezaar

1 pound elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
2 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup flour
3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
8 ounces buffalo wing sauce
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder

1. Cook the macaroni in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente; drain.

2. While the pasta is cooking, whisk the milk and flour together in a bowl, then pour into a saucepan, bringing it to a boil while stirring constantly.

3. Reduce heat to medium and stir in chicken, cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, and buffalo sauce. Cook until the cheese melts.

4. Add pasta and stir to combine.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

This looks yummy, something different.

Donna-FFW said...

My kids love buffalo wings and mac and cheese so this would be a hit over here.

Deborah said...

Rachael Ray seems to make a lot of buffalo inspired recipes - that might be a good place to search! This sounds tasty and looks wonderful!

Stephanie said...

This looks really good, I must try this, my husband agreed after seeing the picture.

Allison said...

This was honestly the most delicious thing I have ever made. I want to eat the entire pot.