Monday, October 5, 2009

Three Packet Pot Roast and Leftover Pot Roast Hash and Eggs

I've only ever made pot roast one way: cooked in the Crock pot all day long with salt and pepper, garlic powder, bay leaves, and thyme. That's the way my mom always made it, and I guess I just never thought her method could be improved upon. And while this pot roast (found on Jessie's site) doesn't necessarily top my mom's recipe, it is certainly just as good as hers. It had great flavor and was nice and tender, and all three of us enjoyed it a lot. Tomorrow I'll post about the yummy parmesan knots I served alongside the meat and vegetables.

(Also, I have to apologize for the crappy picture. As I was snapping it, my son was sitting in his high chair systematically throwing his dinner onto the floor, so I had to stop that madness rather quickly. Toddlers, they are not what I would call easy.)

Three Packet Pot Roast
source: adapted from Mrs. Ca Cooks, who adapted it from RecipeZaar

1 (2/3 ounce) package Italian salad dressing mix
1 (1 ounce) package ranch dressing mix
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package mushroom gravy mix
1 2-3 pound beef roast of choice
1 cup water
1 cup baby carrots
1/2 pound baby red potatoes, cut into chunks

Place the roast in the center of the Crock pot and arrange the vegetables around the sides. Combine the dry mixes and sprinkle over the roast. Pour water around the sides. Cover and cook for 8-10 hours on low.

***

I reserved some of the meat specifically to use for breakfast the next morning. One of my favorite things to order at Bob Evans (a restaurant we dine at frequently, and yes, we are in our 20s, why do you ask?) is pot roast hash, and I was eager to duplicate it at home. Consisting of red potatoes, leftover pot roast, onion and green pepper, and topped with over-easy eggs, this hash was a perfect, hearty breakfast for a chilly weekend morning.

Pot Roast Hash and Eggs
source: Cassie


2 tablespoons butter
Vegetable or olive oil
1 pound baby red potatoes, diced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup leftover pot roast
4 eggs, cooked to taste

Melt butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and cook until they just begin to brown, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add bell pepper and onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in leftover pot roast and heat through. Top with eggs and serve.

4 comments:

Keri said...

This looks delicious, Cassie, and the picture is great, too:-)! Would you mind posting your recipe for pot roast, too? I could use a good one. For instance, do you use any type of broth/ stock or water?

Cassie said...

Keri, the recipe for my "regular" pot roast and gravy is here -- everything up to the onion rings, obviously. :) I've used both water and beef stock, and also a combination of the two, which works just fine!

Donna-FFW said...

That hash looks absolutely mouthwatering. Ive never made it with pot roast, nice job!!

Katie said...

I have an award for you over at my blog...stop by and pick it up!