Monday, June 29, 2009

Texas BBQ Chicken Quesadillas

I've had my eye on these quesadillas for quite a while now, and I finally put them on the menu last week. Before this pregnancy, I was indifferent to BBQ sauce. I didn't dislike it, it's just not something I would have chosen to eat. Now, though? Now I can't get enough of the stuff. So these quesadillas did a good job of fulfilling my craving, and on top of that they were delicious! I loved the sweetness of the onions in the filling. This Mexican sour cream rice is the perfect accompaniment. I'll definitely make these quesadillas again. The recipe as I've listed it below makes 2 servings.

Texas BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
Source: seen on A Taste of Home Cooking, adapted from Jenn and Food, Perfect Together

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 vidalia onion, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon honey
1 large chicken breast, finely diced
1/2 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
1/4 to 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle, which worked great)
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
4 10-inch flour tortillas

1. Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook until they begin to carmelize. Mix in the honey and stir until it is golden brown. Remove and set aside.

2. Place the remaining oil in the pan and add the chicken. Season chicken with steak seasoning and cook through over medium high heat. Stir in the BBQ sauce to evenly coat the chicken.

3. Place the chicken, onions and cheese onto a tortilla, top with the other tortilla and cook in a quesadilla maker or skillet about 5 minutes, or until tortillas are golden brown.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Yum! I love quesadillas and the Mexican food craving I developed while pregnant has still not abated more than a year out. I may have to add these to the menu for the week.

Keri said...

Yum, these look fantastic. We make quesadillas about once a week to satisfy my mexican food craving. I've never tried bbq sauce in them, but I will now!!

Brooke Lerner said...

I made this for dinner last week and I'm making them again tonight- they are that good!!
I love your blog!!