Monday, June 22, 2009

Frozen Banana Bites

Every Sunday evening, my stepmom and stepsister come over to my house to watch our very favorite TV show, True Blood. It doesn't start until 9:00, which is too late for us to eat dinner together, so at the beginning of the season we decided to make sweets to eat during the show instead. We're supposed to be taking turns, but I've selfishly made the snack two weeks in a row. Last week we enjoyed strawberry pretzel squares, and this week I made these absolutely delicious frozen banana bites.

This is an idea I originally saw in Bon Appetit magazine a couple of months ago, and I've had it in my mind to make my own version ever since. You can roll the chocolate-dipped bananas in any coating you want; I chose miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips, peanuts, hazelnuts, and vanilla wafer crumbs.

This is the perfect summer treat, hands-down. The frozen bananas are somehow still really creamy, almost the texture of ice cream. Add in the chocolate and the salty-sweet coatings, and this is truly a heavenly -- and simple! -- dessert. I can see myself making these for my kids in a few years!


Frozen Banana Bites
Source: inspired by Bon Appetit

1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 ripe bananas, peeled and cut into slices (about 12 slices per banana)
Assorted coatings for bananas (peanuts, hazelnuts, miniature chocolate chips, vanilla wafers crumbs, toasted shredded sweetened coconut, chopped candy, etc.)

1. Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler over low heat. Meanwhile, place each coating in a separate dish and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

2. Using a fork, dip a slice of banana in the melted chocolate, shaking off the excess. Immediately drop banana in coating, using your fingers to sprinkle more coating over the top of the banana. Place on prepared cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining bananas, chocolate and coatings.

3. Freeze for about 3 hours, or until firm.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

i was just looking at a recipe for these the other day. i might have to make them since you think they are good!

i am making some of your asian slaw tonight and also have the jalapeno chicken this week! cant wait!

Creative Classroom Core said...

Such a perfect treat for the kidlets (and me too!) on a hot day! Love them!

Sara said...

My husband would LOVE these, he has a weakness for chocolate covered bananas :)

Anonymous said...

you are my personal food guru.
I'm making this immediately. And when I say that, I mean...as soon as I am stuck with my 7 year old nephew again. I think he'll find these less sloppy and better than our last desert.

Katie said...

I can't wait until I can tolerate food again, these look good, but the kid growing in my belly is saying "No thanks Mom".

Donna-FFW said...

What a perfect treat!! They sound wonderful!

Rachel said...

This sounds like a great dessert for the kids...I'm sure they'll love them! My daughter is addicted to bananas and she won't believe her good fortune with the chocolate, too!

Keri said...

These look fabulous. I love that they are perfect little bites. They would be perfect for a summer cocktail party treat!

Anonymous said...

wow! These are amazing! I would SO gobble these up by justifying this as a healthy dessert!