Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cheesy Sausage Ravioli Bake

Last time I was pregnant, I got off relatively easy. I had lots of cravings, but I didn't have very many food aversions at all. I was able to eat pretty much anything I wanted -- most of which was fast food, since for the majority of my pregnancy we were remodeling our kitchen. So it's a good thing my major cravings were chicken nuggets with ketchup and burritos from Chipotle.

This time, though, I've had a lot more food aversions -- the major one being tomato sauce. The very smell of it was enough to send me rushing to the bathroom just a few days ago. But then yesterday, what happened? I started craving ravioli with a thick, chunky tomato sauce. Pregnancy is so weird, man.

I came up with this recipe on the fly to satisfy my craving, and it was really very good. I love food like this, that's simple to prepare and so hearty and delicious. We ate this with a wheat version of our favorite garlic bread, and we thoroughly enjoyed this meal. I even made Andrew a portion, minus the sausage and copious amounts of cheese, and he seemed to enjoy it. Although in this picture his inner food critic seems to be thinking, "Hmmm, it could really use some salt."



Cheesy Sausage Ravioli Bake

Source: Cassie

1 bag frozen miniature cheese ravioli
1 pound spicy Italian sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 jar chunky vegetable tomato sauce
1 (14.75-ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Cook ravioli according to package directions; drain.

2. Meanwhile, brown sausage and onion in olive oil in a high-sided skillet until sausage is no longer pink. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.

3. Mix ravioli with 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Add sausage mixture and stir gently to combine, being careful not the break the ravioli. Pour into a greased 13 x 19 casserole dish. Top with remaining cup of cheese.

4. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until cheese is melted. If desired, broil for 2 minutes to blister cheese.

2 comments:

Creative Classroom Core said...

Love love love the messy face! Reminds me so much of my son - he is the messiest eater EVER!

This dish looks incredible! Will make soon!

Deborah said...

Something about this is really calling out to me right now!