Wednesday, October 1, 2008

French Onion Pork Chop Skillet

I'm sort of wondering if I should even post pictures of last night's dinner, because it really wasn't the prettiest meal. I don't want the pictures to keep you from trying this, because seriously: This dinner was probably one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth. It was so, so good. It's finally feeling like fall around here, and this was a perfect fall meal: comforting and filling and flavorful. The best thing? My house now smells like caramelized onions, which is one of my favorite smells in the world. Too bad Joe and I ate all of this last night; I'd love to have some for lunch today!

This is a Kraft recipe I received in one of my weekly e-mails. I made a few modifications (the original recipe says to cook the onions in cooking spray -- um, excuse me? Onions must be caramelized in butter, HELLO?), but kept the basic components the same. I highly recommend this one!


French Onion Pork Chop Skillet

Source: slightly adapted from Kraft Foods

4 boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick
Salt and pepper to taste
2 onions, thinly sliced

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 package stuffing mix for chicken
1 1/2 cups hot water
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Heat butter in large nonstick skillet medium-high heat. (Add some vegetable oil if the butter starts to brown.) Season chops with salt and pepper. Add chops and onions; cook 10 minutes or until chops are cooked through (160°), stirring onions occasionally and turning chops over after 5 minutes. Transfer chops to plate; keep warm. Continue cooking onions 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.

2. Add Worcestershire sauce to skillet; mix well. Reduce heat to low. Return chops to skillet; spoon onion mixture over chops.

3. Mix stuffing mix and hot water. Spoon stuffing mixture around edge of skillet; sprinkle with cheese. Cover. Cook 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Cassie!

I am devoted follower of your blog and have made many-a delicious things you've posted. After making another scrumptious dish, thought I would say hello! Made the porkchops with onions and cheese last night - so yummy! Can't wait to dig into the leftovers today for lunch!

Much love!