Friday, August 8, 2008

Quesadilla "Pie"

This meal idea was shameless swiped from my stepsister, Anne, who made something similar for our whole family a few weeks ago. My husband absolutely loved it, and he's been pestering me ever since to make my own version. With a little help from Betty Crocker's fajita chicken marinade, I have to say I whipped up a winner. Next time, I'm going to add black beans, too; I think they'd be really good in this.

I served the "pie" with tortilla chips and homemade guacamole. I don't have a recipe for the guacamole; in addition to the staple ingredients (avocados, cilantro and lime juice), I just use whatever I have on hand: usually some combination of red onion, garlic, tomatoes, sour cream and Frank's Red Hot. This meal was delicious -- so filling, yet the guacamole made it so refreshing at the same time.


Quesadilla "Pie"

Source: "pie" adapted from Anne; marinade from The Betty Crocker Cookbook

For the chicken marinade:

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

For the "pie":

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 package flour tortillas (8 tortillas)
2 jars medium salsa
2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
2 cups shredded Mexican-blend cheese
1 can fiesta corn, drained

1. Cut chicken into chunks (for easier shredding) and marinate for at least 4 hours but no longer than 24 hours. Cook chicken in a skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink; set aside to cool. Shred cooled chicken.

2. Preheat oven to 350ยบ.

3. To assemble the pie, place one flour tortilla on a nonstick baking sheet. Top with salsa, chicken, corn and cheese. Repeat layers so that the stack is 4 tortillas high. On the top tortilla, use salsa and cheese only. Repeat process with a second pie.

No comments: